Broody for weeks but no eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mark, Oct 19, 2008.

1. Mark

Mark Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2007
    North Central Texas
    One of our chickens (Black Australorp or Jersey Giant, I can't tell) has been broody for at least 2 weeks. She sits in her nest all day, day after day.

Other hens have done this (I assume this is 'going broody'), but they all sat on a lot of eggs. This hen never seems to lay an egg! She just sits in the nest all day.

We take her out of the nest from time to time and she seems healthy.

I'm a bit worried something is stuck inside.

The hen is only 8 months old. If she is a Jersey Giant, perhaps it is still early for her to lay eggs.

On a side note, anyone know how to tell a Black Jersey Giant from a Black Australorp?

Thanks,

mark

2. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    Jersey giants have yellow on the bottom of their feet, especially in the creases. She will not lay an egg if she is broody. If you let her hatch some eggs she will quit, or you can take her out of the nesting area and put her in a wire bottomed cage that is very "uncozy" feeling. The longer she has been on, the longer it will take to break her broodiness. Might take a week or ten days now that it has been this long. Hope this helps.

3. sadieH5836

sadieH5836 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2007
    Egg Harbor
    I have two bantums that will go broody at the drop of a hat. I put them in a wire bottom cage for a few days and they quit. They yell at me and give me attitude but then they are fine.

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    OR...you could buy a couple of baby chicks and put under her.

Once they go broody, they stop laying, if she looks healthy in every way, then she should be fine.

5. Mark

Mark Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2007
    North Central Texas
    We put her in our spare tractor for 2 days, and the 'broody' mood passed. She is back with the free-ranging flock, again.

Thanks for the help.

Mark

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by