Broody found a new hobby--egg eating.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by WalkingOnSunshine, May 14, 2009.

1. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Idiot hen. Darn it. I was so excited to have a broody at last. We have 25 hens, never had a broody. But there's this big BLR Wyandotte sitting tight. Sat for two days on a nest box. Moved her at night onto golf balls. So far so good. Stuck 9 eggs under her (she's huge). She kicked out 2. Still OK. Sat tight another day. This morning... 2 eggs out of 7 left and yolk on her beak. Bah!

I have another hen going broody-- a gold laced this time. What did I do wrong? Or was it just that darn hen, who I didn't really like anyway and has just now sealed her trip to freezer camp? I'd really like to set some eggs under the gold laced. I really want chickies!

Erika

2. countrybum

countrybum Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    area pop. 96
    I think when the egg is spoiling they will eat it to get rid of it. I have a baby chick eating chicken and have not figured out which one it is yet. Don't feel alone. [​IMG]

3. Dirt Road

Dirt Road Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2008
    Southern Idaho
    "Or was it just that darn hen, who I didn't really like anyway and has just now sealed her trip to freezer camp?"

I think you have the right solution!

Jim

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by