Broody free range Khaki

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by beccaWA, Apr 5, 2016.

1. beccaWA

beccaWA Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Eastern WA
    One of my Khaki females has decided to go broody. My birds (ducks & chickens) free range on my fenced acre, but go to the coop every night. Except for this female for that past few days. For the life of me, I cannot find where she is. I have many blue spruces, juniper bushes, etc. where she could be hiding. I'm not sure whether to find and remove the eggs (it's only been a couple days) or just let her run with it. Last year one of my chickens hatched a clutch of duck eggs and mothered them, but she stayed in the coop. My concern is finding her so A, I can leave her some food/water nearby and B, so I can either remove the eggs now or know where the babies will be hatched. One problem, my yard is full of large piles of blue spruce branches from a tree that fell during a wind storm. If she's under one of those piles, they are scheduled to be chipped soon. Ideas? Can I move the eggs to the coop and she'll follow? (Assuming I can find them)

2. beccaWA

Feb 22, 2012
    Eastern WA
    Well, thanks for all the replies............

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    @beccaWA , I don't know what's going on, if it's my computer or what, but I had not seen this before.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2016
  4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Boy, this is a tough one. Can you give us an update?

Meanwhile, it's not easy to get a broody to come out of hiding. Can whoever is doing the work be advised of the importance of checking for her before they go tearing through an area?

@Debs Flock
    @Tevyes Dad
    @Kevin565

Last edited: Apr 9, 2016
  5. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Moving broodies can be a long shot. Sometimes they will nest in the new area while many refuse to use the new nesting site.

If it was my bird then I would personally just stop her from brooding there anymore by removing the eggs.

6. pattyhen

pattyhen Chicks Ducks oh my

Apr 20, 2007
    I agree with Kevin. Ourside the coop at night and brooding eggs is not safe for her plus the tree people are coming. Can you rattle the food bucket and call her name to see if you can get her to come off the nest. Gather the eggs and shut her in the coop for a couple of days. You might even try putting the eggs in a nest and see if she will sit on them.

7. Debs Flock

Debs Flock Birds on the brain Premium Member

Apr 28, 2015
    Jefferson County, MO
    I have no personal experience so I can only go by what I've read here on BYC and I agree with Kevin & pattyhen.

8. beccaWA

Feb 22, 2012
    Eastern WA
    Update. We chipped the branches, but left her pile and nest where it was. I covered her nest with half an old a dog kennel, and after some trepidation she returned. Now little Mama Mocha has six new ducklings hatched out under that dog kennel. At night I close it up with a door I fashioned to keep cats out. True free range ducks, I guess. They all seem to be doing well and with my new Roo, he seems to keep a vigilant eye on things. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by