broody game hen? or did she fly the coop, she's broody!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jnjross, Jun 19, 2008.

1. jnjross

jnjross Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    edwards, ms
    last month my dad brought me his two game hens one was laying. they made a nest under the back steps and had being roosting in the elm tree right across from there, last week the layer stop laying there and i looked and couldn't find where she was puttin 'em , now she's gone missing, did she go broody and built a nest some where else? is this something game hens do tend to do? run off to hatch i mean

Last edited: Jun 20, 2008
  2. Feathers Acres

Feathers Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Michigan
    Game hens are not known for going broody but it is quite possible.

3. jnjross

Apr 3, 2008
    edwards, ms
    that's what i always though, i read something to the opposite just now say they carry some kind of maternal trait and got me thinking

Last edited: Jun 19, 2008
  4. okiehen

okiehen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Game hens are good to be broody, and great moms , she may be on a nest somewhere. Are you sure something hasn't happened to her?
    My American game hen is the best mom and has hatched for me two times.

5. americana-chick

americana-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    if she doesnt come back between 1-3 months you know something has hapened to her... but i bet she is just broody so hopefully you get chicks!

6. fowlafoot

fowlafoot Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    Midwest
    Game hens are very broody and if they are free they will do their best to hide their nest. I just had one come back yesterday with 13 chicks and we never found where she was setting. She will come back to where she is used to getting food as soon as she hatches the chicks. The only problem is that they are vulnerable to predators when they nest on the ground.

7. CUDA

CUDA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    Quote:I am sorry, but this statement is very wrong. Games are some of the most broody fowl out there. They don't have the broodiness bred out of them like some other breeds have had done to them. Games are excellent broodies, and very protective moms. Fowlafoot is right, she probably just found a good hiding spot, that is unless you have a bunch of coons running around... If you don't think games go broody, take a look at this! he he

[​IMG]

8. jnjross

Apr 3, 2008
    edwards, ms
    yes yes that's where she went [​IMG] she came home this morning to eat and off she went - under the house through a little opening for the water hose valve- and boy was she mean , to the roos that is, they didn't even try to take the treats that i threw to her.

that pic looks just like her, do you know what type she is?

Last edited: Jun 20, 2008
  9. CUDA

CUDA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    You know there are tons of different kinds of American games. I could give you a guess based on a little info, but it would be just that because the hens look so much a like. What kind of comb, and what color legs does she have? The one in the picture is a Kelso.

10. jnjross

Apr 3, 2008
    edwards, ms
    the same kind of comb as your's (rose?) and blueish gray legs, I know i may never know and that's fine, but boy those chicks are going to be some mutts leghorn, rir, ee, dom, and/or wyn. hope they're not ugly

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by