Broody gave up - do the eggs still have a chance?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CHICKEN BUFF, Jun 6, 2017.

1. CHICKEN BUFF

CHICKEN BUFF Songster

Jan 16, 2015
    My 18-month-old Cochin hen went broody for the first time. She appeared absolutely committed, and was fiercely determined to nest in a corner of the coop. I finally left her alone and gave her some fertile eggs in the middle of the night which she adopted. For a few days, she slept on the eggs, and only left them once a day to eat and drink. The other birds didn’t bother her, but today she suddenly abandoned her eight eggs with no warning, and returned to the flock. Tonight I found her roosting on the perches with the other hens. I gathered up her abandoned eggs and put them in the incubator. Do the eggs still have a chance? And why did she give up?

2. Hybridchucks

Hybridchucks Queen Of The Coop

Jul 13, 2016
    Burdsville
    My Coop
    Very silly hen!! maybe something scared her and she was but off....how long were the eggs cold? if only 20 mins, they stand a chance!

CHICKEN BUFF likes this.
  3. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit

Jan 30, 2015
    CHICKEN BUFF likes this.
  4. Birdinhand

Birdinhand Crowing

May 23, 2016
    they can go many hours. they go into a dormant state and stand a chance of rebounding up to something like 12 hours without heat. I looked into it because the electricity went out in my house while incubating. it was out for several hours, I still had an 80% hatch rate.

CHICKEN BUFF likes this.
  5. CHICKEN BUFF

CHICKEN BUFF Songster

Jan 16, 2015
    Omigosh, that's a huge relief to know they're resilient. She was off the nest most of the day and didn't return to them that night. Fortunately it was a warm day, but still, the eggs were cold to the touch when I finally intervened and popped them in the incubator. The hen sat on them for five solid days with only a tiny break each day. So do I take five days away from 21 when calculating the possible hatch day? And do I count the day she left them to themselves? (Where were math problems like THIS in school, LOL!)

6. Birdinhand

Birdinhand Crowing

May 23, 2016
    I would assume the original hatch date but be ready for some "late bloomers" by a day or so. you can candle them in a few day with no ill effect. I would really try and get everything spot on from here out, humidity and temp. I would not trust her with this batch again. I have read that the good rule of thumb is not to trust a hen till she's been sitting solidly for 5 ish days and then, if she gets up, to not trust her going forward. that said, I have a BO that didn't quite know what she was doing the first year, sat on eggs for a night or two and then gave up, I figured she was not reliable but then this year she seemed to kick in full throttle so I waited for like 7 days and then put some eggs under her and she was rock solid and has turned out to be a great mom. so there are a lot of factors to consider when trying to decide which one to trust and it's always a bit of a gamble, but wow is it awesome when it works out, nothing compares to the real thing when it comes to chick health and happiness as a broody hen! good luck!!

CHICKEN BUFF likes this.
  7. DGiossi

DGiossi In the Brooder

Sep 28, 2015
    This may be a silly question but.. Have you candled the eggs to see if they started developing? At 5 days you should see a well defined black spot with some vein activity along with a defined air sack on one end. I have had some very good mother hens roll select eggs out from under them and only sit on others. I candled the abandoned eggs to find that there was no development in them. I have also had some that just didn't like being broody. I have found what others have said that the eggs can go several hours without being sat on and still survive in the incubator. I have had a great hatch rate with the type of incubator that is programmed to cool for an hour a day. The safest thing though is to candle the eggs to see how they did under mom. Sometimes animals just know.

CHICKEN BUFF likes this.
  8. CHICKEN BUFF

CHICKEN BUFF Songster

Jan 16, 2015
    I'll definitely try candling in a few days. I don't dare disturb them right now, but I can see the value of checking up on them early in the process.

9. CHICKEN BUFF

CHICKEN BUFF Songster

Jan 16, 2015
    Good points all --- Maybe she'll do better next year.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: