Broody Geese Hatching Any Gosling?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by kuntrygirl, Mar 7, 2012.

1. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Is anyone having any luck with their geese hatching any goslings so far? My geese are laying all over the place and are setting from time to time but that's about it. My girls lay so many eggs every year and the most that hatch are 2 and there's always drama with the hatching. :/ I don't know what the deal is but it is soooooooooooo difficult to get them to hatch the old fashion way. I have resorted to placing goose eggs under my Muscovy ducks. :/

Anyone having any luck the old fashion way with letting their girls set and hatch? Anyone NOT having any luck? Would love to hear your stories, words of wisdom or pity party venting .:/

2. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Mine have , some of them are on their second set of eggs and some of them are laying out in the open too.
    I just gather up the stray eggs and what i don't use i feed to my dogs.

3. Kara515

Kara515 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2011
    Southeast Missouri
    Mine is a slightly odd situation....I separated my goose from my gander when he got so aggressive that he was killing her!! BUT, she started laying eggs about 2 weeks later and decided to set. They are Egyptians and my last goose came at with blood in her eyes when I got too close to HER nest, so I decided to leave her be and see if a couple of them hatched. Surprisingly, she has been a complete angel with me and for the first time ever, has even been eating out of my hand!! I pick chickweed for her and the chickens everyday and cut it up. So, now that I think the eggs should have started hatching, I distracted her with the greens and took 5 eggs away (they were all liquid inside)! Yuck!! That was Monday. This morning when I went out, I realized that when she had moved her nest (a week ago) she had left 3 eggs behind in their original place! The nest is in a dog house and she just moved it from the back to the front. I feel so sorry for her!! I am sure all the eggs are bad and she has been so devoted to her nest!!

4. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    My chickens are having a great time trying to crack open the goose eggs. :barnie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by