Broody Ghetto...anyone seen anything less eye catching?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by pgpoultry, Oct 29, 2010.

1. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    My Gold Brahma hen decided to brood by the side of our domestic oil supply.....wet and windy, night frosts etc. I have done my best to provide her with shelter, but the result doesn't exactly look pretty.

I'm hoping to move her into a new barn once the floor has been laid(!) next week if (and it seems a bit unlikely) anything hatches.

Wish her luck....please!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Goldie Hen in her 'palace'

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Good luck Goldie

Imp

3. growinupinfl

growinupinfl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Pensacola
    That is awesome, at least to her it is perfect... I would think it will be fine especially if you put a tarp up around here, like a little tent. That should protect her... I tried to move my broody's who were a week into their brood. They flipped out... Started beating their wings against the doors, and freaking to the point I thought they were gonna hurts themselves. I opened the door and they ran right back to their now empty nest. You might do best just putting a tarp up over her area and letting it go. I'm sure someone else on here has some good ideas too..

Christal

4. bigdawg

bigdawg AA Poultry

Jun 28, 2009
    middle tenn
    she looks happy, go goldie go

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    She certainly is gorgeous.

6. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Beauty is in the eye of the broody! (It's better if you say it out loud!)

7. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Oh well,
    I think the combination of the night's driving rain and gales and Goldie's attempt to stay put 'til she could hold herself no more....and pooped all over the eggs, has tolled the death knell for the eggs.
    We had an abominable day and night here with wind and rain.
    I went to check Goldie this morning to be greeted by an appalling smell when I drew back her blanket. I lifted her to find her underside soaked and smelling vile. When I examined the eggs they were sitting in a thick slurry of mud and poo and the whole nest area was soaked in the bottom. I think she must have sat trying to protect her eggs from the elements until she could hold herself no more.....
    I am full of self reproach for not trying to move her when I could....but hindsight is great isn't it?
    Poor Goldie...I tossed out the lightest sloshing egg and candled the rest.. some looked as though they had been developing, so I have placed membrane underneath and let her go back...but it's too late I think.[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 30, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by