Broody girl...no fertile eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by wbruder17, Dec 8, 2010.

1. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    I have a broody silkie. I have an inept rooster, polish crested, that is not doing his job. I would like her to hatch some and not discourage her broodiness, as that is a big reason I have her. I let her have 2 eggs, but they turned out to not be fertile. I want some eggs for her, but don't know how to get the rooster to do his thing...help? Advice? Im trying to find some eggs of the breed I want for her to hatch.

2. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Yep, just what I was going to suggest...find some eggs from someone else...via Craigslist, or on here in the buy/sell section...what breed(s) are you looking for?

3. MissJenny

MissJenny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I have the same thing here -- minus the rooster. I listed on the WANT TO BUY section and someone responded. Because of this time of year eggs are scarce, so they won't ship till Monday, which is better than never. I'm told that this is fine, if she's truly broody she will sit sit and sit. I keep bringing her food and water. Good luck finding eggs.

Jenny

4. wbruder17

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Hi. I am looking for some various, more" rare" breeds... americaunas, araucanas, delawares, etc. Where did you get your eggs from?

5. wbruder17

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Cloverleaf...I would love to have the lavender ameraucana or salmon favorelles. Both are exactly what im looking for.

6. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    And I have fertile eggs and no broody girl. Shall we trade? [​IMG]

7. wbruder17

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    What kind of eggs do you have? My broody girl is a silkie, which are famous for their motherly behavior. The woman that I got them from has brothers and sisters for sale. Not expensive and beautiful. Very friendly as well.

8. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Quote:Only one of my LF Fav girls is laying so far, and my LF Ameraucanas are too young yet...sorry...

9. vtgirls

vtgirls Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    Vermont
    There are a bunch of different fertilized eggs for sale at mypetchicken.com - they sell them in small batches as well and are a very good company - out of CT. All different breeds - good luck!

10. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    Quote:I ordered Serama eggs for my broody Silkie. She hatched out a couple last January for me and has been broody all year....up until the day the eggs arrived! I went out and bought an incubator and put them in today. I was running out of time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by