Broody Girl

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by SkyeT, Jan 14, 2019.

1. SkyeT

SkyeT Songster

Aug 7, 2018
    San Antonio
    SO, we have been gathering eggs for several weeks and enjoying them in our foods. Salt, which was the first to lay, has begun staying on her hole/nest most of the day, has piled leaves and feathers around her so I am assuming she has gone broody. She gets very chirpy when I come around to check for eggs. She lets me pick her up to check, though yells at me the whole time. No pecking...yet.

We have put a wooden egg in two laying spots to encourage our girls to lay in the same place so we don't have a daily egg hunt and end up missing eggs like before. She is currently sitting on one of them. Do I let her do this? I want to make sure whatever we do is healthy for her. If allowing her to be broody is healthy, then we can do this. She does get up once a day it seems for a bit of walking and water and food.

If we need to break her broodiness, would merely taking away her wooden egg be enough?

Edit: Salt is Muscovy, if that information makes a difference.

NFB likes this.
  2. BarnhartChickens98

BarnhartChickens98 Crowing

Oct 28, 2018
    Manhiem, Pennnsylvania
    No experience with broody ducks, but with chickens it is bad on their body to let them brood, because of lack of excersize, less food and water intake.
    EDIT: to clarify, it is not bad on their body, it just isn't as healthy as a normal chicken.

Kkrista123 likes this.
  3. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Hello. I destroy the nest and put my Ducks out to forage or confine the Broody to a different pen till she forgets about the nest.

SkyeT likes this.
  4. SkyeT

SkyeT Songster

Aug 7, 2018
    San Antonio
    I ended up taking her fake egg and ruffling up her nest. She abandoned it 24 hours later and I think has begun to lay AGAIN. But, now I know what to do.

Thanks everyone!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: