Broody girl

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Jeni1953, Mar 15, 2019.

1. Jeni1953

Jeni1953 Chirping

Jul 29, 2018
    Franklin Vermont
    We have a young hen (9 months) who seems to want to go Broody. We've tried taking her out of the nest, putting her on the roost and shooing her outside. It's pretty cold here in Vermont and will be for a while. Any suggestions, should we let her try and hatch a batch? Would you take her out of the coop and put her in a new home? We only have 5 hens and a rooster, two nests so not a lot of room in the coop. Perhaps the garage which is warmer? Any help?

Mimi’s 13 likes this.
  2. Shamo Hybrid

Shamo Hybrid Songster

Jun 6, 2018
    Squirt her with a water bottle when she sits on the nest, try not to get it into her nose or ears though.... maybe a body shot of water will discourage her from wanting to go broody. She will learn that going broody is bad.

3. Mimi’s 13

Mimi’s 13 fuhgettaboutit

Jan 6, 2018
    Centre, AL
    First of all please do not wet a bird when it’s cold. That is not the correct way to break a broody.

I took a chance on my young BCM broody this past December and she turned out to be fabulous.

It is best if she could remain in the same vicinity with your other birds. Her integrating the chicks will be much easier if she’s not having to ingrate herself at the same time.

4. Jeni1953

Jeni1953 Chirping

Jul 29, 2018
    Franklin Vermont
    I have heard that cold water would snap them out of it but in our temps wouldn't try it. Thanks for the ideas

Mimi’s 13 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: