Broody girls with eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sunrae, Jun 12, 2011.

1. sunrae

sunrae New Egg

Jan 23, 2011
    Hi all you chicken lovers ~ I hope you can help us out. Our sweet Cuckoo Maran's have sat on a couple rounds of successfully hatched eggs. We removed the chicks both times and raised them in a brooder. Now, we would really like to give them a chance to be moms. They definitely need to be removed from the rest of the flock (20 hens and a rooster). So, we have a few issues. We need to deal with this in the next few days, since those eggs should be hatching this Thursday.

1. What type of structure can we move them to, so they will be predator proof and the chicks won't kill themselves from being too high up in a nest. What do people typically use?

2. Can we put the two broody girls in one structure with the ~ten chicks?

Thanks ahead of time for your help,

~JR

2. Cackling Hen

Cackling Hen Just Scratching Around

Apr 21, 2009
    Port Angeles Wa
    Hi and welcome to BYC......... I use an old rabbit hutch or dog crate to let them raise there babies. I also have in past blocked off part of my coop. Im not sure about letting both mamas together as I have never done that before Im sure others will be along to give you more advice [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 12, 2011
  3. sunrae

sunrae New Egg

Jan 23, 2011
    Thank you. Sorry, I just realized there is an entire thread about broody hens. I will check it out now.

4. sunrae

sunrae New Egg

Jan 23, 2011
    Thanks again ~ We just converted an old dog house and split in half for the girls and their babes. Thanks again!

5. Cackling Hen

Cackling Hen Just Scratching Around

Apr 21, 2009
    Port Angeles Wa
    Quote:Hey thats a great idea [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by