Broody Golden Comet

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by JEB NC 10, Jun 17, 2011.

1. JEB NC 10

JEB NC 10 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2011
    My GC is setting on a dozen eggs. I put them under her this past Sunday evening. So far she's doing great! My question is assuming she sees this whole thing through, can I trust her to be a good mom or do I need to go ahead and make plans to step in? It's just that given the odds that a GC would go broody, I'm wondering what are the odds that she'll take an interest in the chicks?

Any ideas?

2. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    I don't have personal experience with this but I would be prepared JUST in case!Maybe she'll be a great mom though! You will have to share pics [​IMG]

3. HLAC

HLAC Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2009
    Central Utah
    How is she doing?

I have a golden comet that has gone broody on me. (I think) I didn't think they would go broody, but she's been sitting in the nest box and raises a stink when I reach under her. When she does come off the nest to get a drink or some food, she puffs up like a little turkey and makes funny growling noises. She would be the first broody hen I've ever had. Now I'm thinking about finding her some fertile eggs (no rooster here) but I'm not sure she would stick with it.

Good luck with yours and let us know how it goes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by