Broody Golden Laced Wyandotte, day two of sitting, can I add eggs today?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bboyd1, Jul 23, 2013.

1. bboyd1

bboyd1 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2013
    To the Right of Nowhere
    I have a Golden Laced Wy that I allowed to go full on broody for the first time. She attempted it before but we didn't want chicks so I broke her broodiness then. I saw her yesterday when I went out to get eggs and figured "why not?" She had 4 eggs under her from that morning, and I added the other 3 we also got that day (we get 5-10 eggs a day from our flock). My question is I'd like to add at least another 3-4 because I only have a couple Wyandottes, our roo is a silver laced Wy, and my other hens are what we call reds around here, generally a Rhode Island red cross of some sort, basic brown layers. I want to hatch out more pure Wyandottes if possible since I don't know how the crosses of reds with my roo will turn out as far as layers and growth rate. Can I add the eggs I get today since its only the 2nd day? Or will that 24hour difference in hatch rate not work out? I wouldn't even consider adding them tomarrow or after, so any help I can get on this subject today would be great. Otherwise I will know for next time! Thanks!

2. five is my dog

five is my dog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2013
    you can put eggs under her just as long as they arent more than 2 days apart.

3. bboyd1

bboyd1 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2013
    To the Right of Nowhere
    Thanks so much! Im gonna add what we get today from my good girls. Then candel when they hit about 10 days if I can. Fingers crossed we get some that hatch! Our roo is in his prime, we also have a young bantam roo who dosn't get to "do" anything since our Big Chief watches the girls like a hawk. He's young still anyway and we mostly got him because we have a "pet" bantam hen he will soon be living with happily. So hopefully I have several good eggs from my Wy rooster. Should I candel again later also or leave them be after I check at 10 days? Sorry this is my first time hatching out chicks.

4. five is my dog

five is my dog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2013
    i hope they all hatch! and you dont get a ton of roos! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by