Broody gone bad....

Camelot Farms

Chickenista
10 Years
Jun 5, 2009
VA,TN,NC Tri-State area
barnie.gif

OK...Harriet (18mo old silkie) tried to brood all summer. She would brood a bit, give up, brood a bit, bail out. But fortunately there was always another chicken somewhere brooding and I could just put her give-ups under there and save them. Well, in the beginning of November, I see her brooding again. Considering her p-poor brooding record, I didnt think much of it figuring she would bail and I would just have to discard the eggs since it IS winter.
Well, 21 days later she hatches out one of her own babies and a MFC. I am waaaaaay impressed at that point....

...however, today (3 weeks later) I drop into the barn and find her chicks shivering and quivering while mama is up on a box snuggled with her barn-mates.

So now I have chicks in the house. I SWORE I wouldnt have chicks in the house. No dust, no smell, no CHICKS.

*sigh*

Oh, maaaan. I'm sorry to hear that!

The saving grace is that three-week chicks won't need as MUCH time in the house.... Oh, and you will be able to gentle them a bit more, with your frequent contact, unlike chicks raised wholly by a hen.

....just tryin' to put a good spin on it....

Back
Top Bottom