1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Broody goose losing "flight" feathers

Discussion in 'Geese' started by alrosenb, Mar 4, 2016.

1. alrosenb

alrosenb Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2011
    My goose that has been sitting on her nest for a couple of weeks suddenly lost 12-15 "flight" feathers today-is that normal?

2. EvenLater

EvenLater Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2015
    Illinois
    When my Pom gal laid the first time, it looked like she had exploded, feathers everywhere, and they just fell off all at once. I got worried and came here. I was told it was just molting, and a quick search on Google says the same. Geese are known for "dropping" all their feathers at once during a molt, which leaves them flightless for 6 weeks or so. They do this during the laying season because they are sitting on nests anyway. Totally normal, though its rough looking, Lol :)

3. alrosenb

alrosenb Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2011
    Thanks! It is a little alarming!

4. EvenLater

EvenLater Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2015
    Illinois

It scared the poo out of me when my Cassy just stood there, shook, and half her feathers fell off! Luckily everyone here quickly reassured me its completely normal, or I might have lost my mind! Lol

5. perdue613

perdue613 New Egg

Jun 2, 2016
    Is it normal for male geese to do this also, loose their flight feathers pretty much all at once?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by