Broody goose predation and stupidity questions

GooseInGarden

In the Brooder
Apr 30, 2023
Hello.
I share a flock of Embdens with my folks, with almost 20 some geese right now. At least six of the geese started building clutches this spring. It is not the first year--we had about the same number try to set last year, but had something raiding the nests at night taking almost hatched eggs and new goslings. Last year we figured it was a skunk due to smelling it and seeing it in the area. This year, we moved the broodies to individual runs paneled with chicken wire and chain link when they started incubation to eliminate the predation. All seemed secure until the oldest brood reached the final week or two of incubation, but she is now down to five or six eggs out of at least eight. (We do not bother the broodies as much as possible so do not have exact counts or dates.) The rest of the nests, the ones that were still being built up by the geese, are being cleaned out each night. The geese share pasture with sheep and chickens, and we have dogs on property. Dogs aren't out at night because of a nasty neighbor with a gun. Ganders and non-setting flockmates are able to access all sides of broody runs.
I am wondering what could be preying on the clutches? Ganders and chickens both are very willing to chase anything cat-sized or smaller during the day, and we have lost no chickens.

The other question is regarding a goose that built a clutch of 14+ eggs, but seemed to keep loosing her clutch. She would just keep laying new eggs on top, but never start the incubation or even to line nest with feathers ... I have had some stupid birds before, even those that attacked their own hatchlings, but never this. What is up and can we do anything to fix the behavior?

As of now, my mom and I are building an incubator to try and get some goslings

Hello.
I share a flock of Embdens with my folks, with almost 20 some geese right now. At least six of the geese started building clutches this spring. It is not the first year--we had about the same number try to set last year, but had something raiding the nests at night taking almost hatched eggs and new goslings. Last year we figured it was a skunk due to smelling it and seeing it in the area. This year, we moved the broodies to individual runs paneled with chicken wire and chain link when they started incubation to eliminate the predation. All seemed secure until the oldest brood reached the final week or two of incubation, but she is now down to five or six eggs out of at least eight. (We do not bother the broodies as much as possible so do not have exact counts or dates.) The rest of the nests, the ones that were still being built up by the geese, are being cleaned out each night. The geese share pasture with sheep and chickens, and we have dogs on property. Dogs aren't out at night because of a nasty neighbor with a gun. Ganders and non-setting flockmates are able to access all sides of broody runs.
I am wondering what could be preying on the clutches? Ganders and chickens both are very willing to chase anything cat-sized or smaller during the day, and we have lost no chickens.

The other question is regarding a goose that built a clutch of 14+ eggs, but seemed to keep loosing her clutch. She would just keep laying new eggs on top, but never start the incubation or even to line nest with feathers ... I have had some stupid birds before, even those that attacked their own hatchlings, but never this. What is up and can we do anything to fix the behavior?

As of now, my mom and I are building an incubator to try and get some goslings
Can it possibly be a snake?

Can it possibly be a snake?
I thought of that, but haven't seen any signs. Our birds usually eat or kill them. The only snake I have seen them back away from was a bull snake about ten years ago that was as long as my car. We haven't seen any sign of that snake or relatives of it since, and he was heading off the property.

If it helps, there are sometimes empty eggshells left behind in the nest.

I thought of that, but haven't seen any signs. Our birds usually eat or kill them. The only snake I have seen them back away from was a bull snake about ten years ago that was as long as my car. We haven't seen any sign of that snake or relatives of it since, and he was heading off the property.

If it helps, there are sometimes empty eggshells left behind in the nest.
I would think a snake would swallow the whole egg.

Do you have any good ways to check to see if it is a snake? I would trust my dog to know, but the dogs my folks have now haven't been trained by me personally. I am really getting frustrated with the situation.
Can you put a wildlife camera on the nest 24/7? that might be a very good investment.

Can you put a wildlife camera on the nest 24/7? that might be a very good investment.
Yeah, I was just talking about that with my folks. We don't have any cams right now but it might be a good investment.
I was thinking that a snake would swallow them whole, but was wondering if it depended on the size of snake.
My folks just mentioned they had smelled a skunk a couple times, so that might be it. :/ I was thinking it was gone.

Yeah, I was just talking about that with my folks. We don't have any cams right now but it might be a good investment.
I was thinking that a snake would swallow them whole, but was wondering if it depended on the size of snake.
My folks just mentioned they had smelled a skunk a couple times, so that might be it. :/ I was thinking it was gone.
I hope you solve the mystery soon. Those lost eggs are a lost new generation.

Hollow shells with just a hole in them can be a Magpie or crow. I had a Magpie (wich is really a crow with blue fethers on the wing) do that to my runner eggs last year.

Hollow shells with just a hole in them can be a Magpie or crow. I had a Magpie (wich is really a crow with blue fethers on the wing) do that to my runner eggs last year.
These are broken completely, but no residue inside. It is like the eggs hatched successfully, but some of them were definitely too early to do that.

Back
Top Bottom