broody goose question

Discussion in 'Geese' started by sarah78, Mar 31, 2011.

1. sarah78

sarah78 New Egg

May 26, 2010
    I have a female toulouse that is laying for the first time. We had been taking the eggs out of her nest, but stopped a few weeks ago. She has about 10-12 eggs in the nest and has been sitting on them, but only at night. She gets on the nest once it gets dark out and stays on it until morning. She is off the nest during the day. Is this considered a broody goose? Is just sitting on the nest at night enough to get the eggs to hatch?

Sarah

2. pete55

pete55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    Firstly is she a Dewlap Toulouse as they're not known for going broody. Saying that I've left my Buff with 5 eggs and looks like she's going broody now and has sat all afternoon and started to line the nest with down. Once the female lines the nest its a good sign she's about to go broody.

By the description of yours she's simply 'covering' the eggs at night which is not true incubation. Also has she stopped laying?

Pete

Last edited: Mar 31, 2011
  3. sarah78

sarah78 New Egg

May 26, 2010
    She is a Production Toulouse and seems to have stopped laying. I guess I should count the eggs to make sure she's still not adding new ones to the nest. When we were stealing the eggs we'd always leave one or two, but she would never sit on those at night. Now that she has close to a dozen it seems that she's intentionally sitting on them at night, but could care less about the nest during the day. I did notice that she seems to cover up the nest with hay and feathers when she's not on it. I would actually prefer that she never goes broody as I don't really have the space to accommodate more geese if all these eggs were to hatch. I just don't how long to wait before deciding that these eggs are duds.

4. pete55

pete55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    Just leave her to it and Im sure she'll go broody soon. She's displaying good parenting behaviour by covering the eggs when she leaves them. You could always reduce the clutch a little by removing the oldest/dirtiest eggs. Once she's broody then remove a few more. If they hatch Im sure there must be firends who would love some young toulouse [​IMG]

5. erijn5

erijn5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    South Central IL
    My Buff Toulouse was doing the same thing...believe it or not she has moved the whole entire nest 3 times, and has finally found her perfect spot. She is was only sitting on them at nite, but after this last moment of all 18 eggs she is hard core broody...I tell her everyday, YOU GO GIRL!! I hope they all hatch!! [​IMG] Good luck.. I think she will settle just give her another couple of days.. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by