Broody goose "you dont always need a chicken to hatch an egg"

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by wilkey44, Nov 15, 2010.

1. wilkey44

wilkey44 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2010
    Central Oklahoma
    I am sure I am not the only one that has this kinda story but alot may not think of this, growing up I had chickens and geese and had this one goose that when she would get broody she would lay on any egg she could find, she would even carry chicken eggs to her nest if the hens didn't lay their eggs near her and she would always end up with about 55 chicken eggs under her and when they hatched she would treat the chicks as just if they were her own. if you dont want goslings you can remove the goose eggs and put more chicken eggs a good size goose can sit on about 60-70 chicken eggs

2. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I think your goose was an exception wilkey. My geese spend most of their time standing on the eggs, in which case chicken eggs might not fare too well. If they are luckey enough to hatch any goslings, it`s the aunts and uncles that assume the resposiblity of raising them. Mine may be the exception. I`d like to think so........Pop
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. growinupinfl

growinupinfl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Pensacola
    That is actually a good idea. Was your goose a specific breed, maybe the different breeds have different broody levels like chickens do.

Christal

4. wilkey44

wilkey44 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2010
    Central Oklahoma
    I am not sure of the breed this was about 30 years ago but it was white not unlike the ones pictured above and was always had been around chickens

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by