Broody goose

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Equimby88, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Equimby88

Equimby88 Chirping

Jun 10, 2018
    I have 2 female and a male goose. Every year they lay their eggs outside their shed. Not normally a problem cos we eat the eggs. But this year it like to let them hatch their eggs. How can I convince them to lay in the shed and not out side.

2. BarnhartChickens98

BarnhartChickens98 Songster

Oct 28, 2018
    Manhiem, Pennnsylvania
    Can you move the eggs to where you want them to?

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Build a couple of nest boxes - something like a goose sized dog house and fill them with hay or straw as bedding material.

Equimby88 likes this.
  4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    In my experience this will not work with geese. When broody the behavior seems to be strongly linked to chosen nest site.

BarnhartChickens98 likes this.
  5. Equimby88

Equimby88 Chirping

Jun 10, 2018
    Iv read about moving them bit every were I look says she will more than likely no take back to them. She always lays them in the compost heap so I was goin to try blocking it off this year and putting a big crate in the shed filled with hay but I didn't no if that would work because they don't go back in the shed once iv let them put u till it's time for bed. Should I try doin the crate thing and maybe not letting them out till late morning rather than 7.30am

sourland likes this.
  6. BarnhartChickens98

BarnhartChickens98 Songster

Oct 28, 2018
    Manhiem, Pennnsylvania
    :thumbsup Ok, makes sense.

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I'd definitely block off the compost heap. One of the reasons she chooses that site is that the decomposing materials create warmth that will keep her eggs from being overchilled. I would introduce the 'nesting' areas into the shed prior to the onset of laying.

The goose girl and Miss Lydia like this.
  8. Equimby88

Equimby88 Chirping

Jun 10, 2018
    Yes we are goin to do it this weekend that's why I'm looking for some tips. I even thought about filling the crate with a small layer of co.post and putting the hay on top to see if that worked but then I dont want the eggs sat on top of the compost and getting spoiled lol. Or maybe even putting a fence around the compost heap with a gate on and a roof so that if she is insistent on laying there I can lock her up in the night. I really don't no what to do for the best. What's ur views on her having eggs in the compost do u tho k it will effect the eggs or wpuld it be fine

sourland likes this.
  9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Impact of allowing her to nest in the compost pile would depend upon what materials are composting. Vegetation/leaves/plant materials - no problem. Fecal materials - problem. I'd also be concerned of her vulnerability to predators there.

Miss Lydia likes this.
  10. Equimby88

Equimby88 Chirping

Jun 10, 2018
    I have 2 heaps one for the waste from ducks and geese and one for grass cuttings veg ect she always chooses the veg heap. And yes predators are the reason iv ot let her sit on the eggs in the past but that was why I thought of building an enclosure around the heap. Iv got plenty of wood and chicken wire. Maybe I should try what I said and put some compost in the crate in the shed and see if that works

sourland likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: