Broody got off eggs for 5 hours! Update and pics page 2

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Biddieacres, May 9, 2009.

1. Biddieacres

Biddieacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    I moved her nest last night and all went well....I thought. She must have gotten off this morning at some point to go outside and I came back to check and she was up in her nesting box where she was originally!!! [​IMG] I felt the eggs and they were ice cold!!!! It was like a punch in the gut since my kids and I were so excited for the hatch tomorrow.

I put her back on her eggs and she settled back in and sitting again. Are they all dead?????? Do you think any of them will hatch??? I thought I would come here and hopefully get some advice from others who have been through this before.

Thanks,
    Kristin

Last edited: May 11, 2009
  2. estpr13

estpr13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2008
    Lexington, Ky
    I don't know, but don't give up. You may have lost some but not all. Let us know what happens.

3. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Hmm, are the eggs due to hatch tomorrow? Then keep her confined to her nest and hope for the best. I'm guessing that you moved the nest at this time so that the chicks wouldn't be up high when they hatched. But Mama was more attatched to the site than to the eggs, and returned to her previous location, is that right?

I had some amazing results with eggs that were similarly left to go cold two nights in a row, right at hatch time. I put the hen back on the nest the first time, but the next night she was off again, and the eggs cold again. I was going to toss them when I heard a peep from one of them! I put that hen right back on them and sure enough, the next day the eggs hatched.

Perhaps you can make a barricade around the new nest site to keep the Mama hen on the job. Those eggs just might hatch for you. And next time I would advise to move the nest once the chicks hatch. The Mama usually sets on the nest for a day while all the chicks are hatching, and everyone stays in the nest until the next day. That would be a good time to move them to a lower location.

I wish your hen & these chicks success, let us know how they do!

4. Biddieacres

Mar 31, 2008
    Quote:YES, You are EXACTLY right. That is what happened. I am so mad at myself for not putting a top on her enclosure. I make a nice spot for her on the floor of the coop with poultry wire but no top. [​IMG] [​IMG] She flew up and over, got confused and went back to her old spot. She is moving them around right now and re-warming them up! YES, they are due to hatch tomorrow on Mothers Day! All I can do now is wait and pray.

5. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    They may hatch a day late from being cooled.

6. Biddieacres

Mar 31, 2008
    I sure hope so. Thanks all. I truly value your advice.

7. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    This late in the incubation they are producing a lot of their own heat. If it didn't get really cold, they should be ok.

8. Chickenfortress

Chickenfortress Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Our broody got off the eggs after only 2 hatched in january. When I found them they were really ice cold. I figured they were dead and opened one. The chick was fine, but a little premature. We put the rest in the incubator, because I didn't trust her anymore. Many more hatched. I don't think I'd give up hope after such a small amount of time in decent weather.

9. Biddieacres

Mar 31, 2008
    Ok. I will keep hope. The only thing that shocked me was just how COLD the eggs felt when I touched them. I am estimating 5 hours but not exactly sure. Unless, I was feeling one that never developed.

Well, I just checked her again and she is sound asleep on her eggs. Now she's getting the hang of it and we did add a top so she can't fly out and get confused.

Tomorrow maybe we will see if any pips....[​IMG]

10. keystonepaul

keystonepaul Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    Pocono
    We'll keep a good thought- hope your broody has a good mother's day!! Keystonepaul

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by