Broody Guinea Hen Or Not?

Star2014

Songster
6 Years
Aug 15, 2014
I have a hen who laid a clutch after escaping to the boys she has been sitting on it and when I approached her she hissed. She has a male with her too - well had. We moved her and her mate to a house and pen with the clutch I went out and she isn't sitting. I covered them to maintain their heat and plan on putting them in a incubator tomarrow morning. Will she lay another clutch?

Usually once their nest is disturbed they will abandon that nest. She will start laying again and brood when she gets enough eggs but it may be a few weeks.
smile.png

Thanks the eggs have been covered with a blanket while they were warm. I hope they are still good I will candle them today. Also I am worried that I got her mate mixed up. Will those two mate if I mixed them up? I am going to have to mark them next time!

If her mate is not with her he will usually be hanging around the pen that she is in. If there isn't another male outside her pen then you probably have the right one. A hen is pretty picky about who she mates with. If her male is gone she will eventually chose another one.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom