Broody, has been sitting on eggs for 30 hrs tops, Please read*********

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by happyhens44, Dec 31, 2010.

1. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    I have been slowey sticking eggs under her. since she first went broody. But My hens stopped laying for the day... so can I start again tommrrow or is it to late, she has anywhere 9-10 eggs, But I want more, to late yes or no. its 1:00 am. And I should have 5 eggs layed by other hens at around 9:00.

2. TinyBirds

TinyBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2009
    Texas
    I don't know for sure since I've only had 4 broody hens so far, but I would go ahead and try it if it was me! (unless she's a smaller breed that can't sit on so many at once) Then I'd candle at day 7 or so, and throw out any that aren't developing.

3. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    Quote:You made me smile with the "slowly sticking eggs" comment,lol. I can just see someone sneaking to the nest box, hen asleep, and using espionage techniques, sliding eggs under the grouchy nest-keeper.

[​IMG]

I think an 8 hour window would be fine, btw.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Another 8 hours extends the hatch time to 38 hours after incubation was initiated on the first eggs. There is a strong possibility that the hen will leave the nest with the early hatchers abandoning the rest of the eggs. Two possibilities of extending the hatch are to remove the chicks as they hatch or have an incubator set up ready to go.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by