Broody has broken egg open and chick inside is breathing

Weeg

Crossing the Road
Premium Feather Member
Jul 1, 2020
Small town in Western Washington
My Coop
My Coop
So an update for anyone following along, Hope is a different chicken the last two hours. She is super alert, eyes open, finding her balance, preening, I have been playing a game with her with the eye dropper of water where I hold it infront of her and let the water drop hang and as it falls she catches it in her mouth. I’m doing it over her foot so if it drops she then follows down after it and had a little explore of her food. She is chatting with the chicks in the other brooder and since it’s now dark her she started crying out when I left the room with my flashlight but now that I’m back in she’s happy and wants to play again. She was even having a little explore of her box, picking up shavings and flicking them around and pecking at a little mark that is on one side of the box.
Her feathers are continuing to fluff up more, they are a bit sparse and sit all crazy. I am really hopeful for her tonight. I’m just hoping she doesn’t have any genetic/internal stuff that I don’t know about.
She is 100% better today that she was yesterday and 200% better than hatch day. So hopefully tomorrow she continues to thrive!
Thank you all so much for your support. X
Will continue to update until hopefully it gets boring!
This is such great news! Keep it up with the vitamin water, sounds like you've got a good system. Think it would be possible to set up a see no touch between her and the other chicks? Then she would be able to see them and have some company. I bet she'll be very happy to have some friends to chatter with.
Simply dividing a brooder in half, or 2/3 since its 1:5 with hardware cloth, chicken wire, or anything that she can't squeeze through will work well.
I'm so happy to hear she's doing so much better! Yay for Hope! This is truly incredible.

Ksw15

Chirping
Nov 27, 2021
Sounds like she has imprinted on you as mama hen 😊. That is why she cries out for you, chicks do that when mama gets out of sight.
So because she seemed sad last night to be alone I had my husband build a little divider for the brooder and we need up turning the light on, getting everyone up for an hour and moving her over. Everyone calmed down and was really calm and sweet, she finally relaxed and went to sleep, one of the other chicks came and slept next to her through the divider. I think this will be really good for her today bad hopefully they can show her how to eat and drink. I’ve made sure the water and feed setup is identical. She is still really Into our water dropper game this morning so she’s had a bit to drink of the vitamin water so I’m happy about that. She is standing well and looking more like a normal day old today. Her balance is much improved again even since last night, preening , still falling asleep standing up sometimes but she has improved in general so the progress continues. The week old chicks look so huge next to her. I think she’s the cutest scruffiest little chick I’ve ever seen. 💞

Weeg

Crossing the Road
Premium Feather Member
Jul 1, 2020
My Coop
My Coop
So because she seemed sad last night to be alone I had my husband build a little divider for the brooder and we need up turning the light on, getting everyone up for an hour and moving her over. Everyone calmed down and was really calm and sweet, she finally relaxed and went to sleep, one of the other chicks came and slept next to her through the divider. I think this will be really good for her today bad hopefully they can show her how to eat and drink. I’ve made sure the water and feed setup is identical. She is still really Into our water dropper game this morning so she’s had a bit to drink of the vitamin water so I’m happy about that. She is standing well and looking more like a normal day old today. Her balance is much improved again even since last night, preening , still falling asleep standing up sometimes but she has improved in general so the progress continues. The week old chicks look so huge next to her. I think she’s the cutest scruffiest little chick I’ve ever seen. 💞
This is so sweet. Sounds like the perfect setup.
I think the vitamins are helping, sounds like she's been improving since then. This such an amazing story. Congratulations on her upward trend!

Ksw15

Chirping
Nov 27, 2021
Here is a picture of their brooder setup with the divider.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    549.4 KB · Views: 7

Weeg

Crossing the Road
Premium Feather Member
Jul 1, 2020
My Coop
My Coop
Here is a picture of their brooder setup with the divider.
That looks perfect! Is the heat light on currently? You want Hope to have an area of the brooder that is 95 degrees. Decrease by 5 degrees every week. Along with a cool part of the brooder, so she can move to that side of she gets to warm.

aart

Chicken Juggler!
Premium Feather Member
9 Years
Nov 27, 2012
SW Michigan
My Coop
My Coop

Weeg

Crossing the Road
Premium Feather Member
Jul 1, 2020