Broody has ruined my plans

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Razadia, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Razadia

Razadia The Odd One

Apr 7, 2011
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I had planed to gather up a dozen eggs to sell. I have 4 hens that lay almost daily, but Cream has ruined my plans. She's determined, so dad made me put the 11 eggs I had already collected under her. Good thing the add hasn't run yet and I was able to cancel it before anyone called. [​IMG]

2. Amarisus

Amarisus Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Fallbrook CA
    thats too bad. maybe next time

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Shucks... but it's always best to follow dad and hey in three weeks, you'll have chicks!
    Maybe you could sell them?

4. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    MIne did that too, but after I placed the add. Have a lady who wants twice as many eggs as I get, plus a few other people who also want eggs. So of course everyone is going broody. My fault, I wanted A broody, so I got silkies and BOs mostly, figured I'd get lucky if one went broody. Then I thought no one would. Then I put the ad up and everyone is going broody. [​IMG]

5. Cindlady

Cindlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2010
    S.E. WI
    Razz.... are the eggs fertile? Do you have a roo?

6. Razadia

Razadia The Odd One

Apr 7, 2011
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Quote:Yep, they sure are. All the eggs I have in the bator right now are from those very same hens and roo. Now I have two broodies. So I separated them and gave them 6 eggs each.

7. Cindlady

Dec 12, 2010
    S.E. WI
    Cool.... I thought that was probably the case, but you never know! LOL

The hens would probably be satisfied if you only left them 3 each, but if you want the chicks load 'em up! [​IMG]

Good luck to you and your hens... hope you get to sell some soon!

8. jcfuente51

jcfuente51 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    hey razadias how is your incubation going?? u probly about to go on lockdown any day soon right? i hope u hatch its going well.

9. Saltysteele

Saltysteele Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    MI
    i've got 11 chicks that just hatched sunday. monday afternoon i go out to get the eggs (to bring in and put in the fridge), and i've got a broody hen [​IMG]

initially i pulled the eggs, chased her off and put the eggs in the garage. i went back out to feed them a couple hours later, and guess who was giving me stink eye from the nest box, raising up and fluffin feathers with a growl? i put the eggs back under her (desperately trying to avoid the beak of fury) and let her at it. she's never been allowed before, we'll see what she can do.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  10. Cindlady

Dec 12, 2010
    S.E. WI
    LOL... that's funny... I just gave my broody some eggs. She's been been broody 4 times in the last 3 months an I figured I didn't want to spend the whole summer "fighting" her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by