Broody hasn't Pood!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by wbruder17, Jan 14, 2011.

1. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    My broody silkie hasn't gone #2 in a day and a half or so. I know they store it up, but how long before I get worried? She's in a very tranquil, almose dead-seeming, state and only comes out of it to viciously peck at me when I make sure she's still alive.

2. Raven81

Raven81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2010
    Te Anau NZ
    my broody done that & i had to pick her off the nest everyday so that she would go, & also drink something. i went away for a couple of days & when i got back no new broody poos but then the next day she just went in the nest, what a mess. [​IMG] i made sure after that that she got taken off to do her thing.

3. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Some chickens are better at self care while broody than others. I'd take her off the nest and set her down next to food and water. She can have a drink and a poo, eat if she wants to and then go back to the nest.

4. wbruder17

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    I have been plucking her off the nest..she is getting much better at her "lightning peck"...and she just sits there. I left her off the nest for a few minutes and when I checked again she was back on the eggs and still no poo.

5. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    Well, has she eaten? [​IMG]

6. wbruder17

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Ok, she finally pood, right where she was setting. I haven't seen her eat, but the poo is a good sign, so I guess we're clear for now.

7. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    When mine go broody and I have them isolated from the rest of the flock, I take them out (away from the nest so they can't see it) and throw some scratch down...they will go after the scratch, take a few steps, run like mad then poo. Then I put them back on their nest...this whole process is done in less than 10 minutes. That's my way of reassuring her legs get some exercise every day and she doesn't poo in the nest--I started doing this after the first girl refused to get up on her own and just pooed where she sat [​IMG]

Edited to add that I also put the food and water right next to her...one on either side of her.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by