Broody hatch...how long to hold on????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Mrs. Feathers, Jun 25, 2011.

1. Mrs. Feathers

Mrs. Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    We are on day 21 today. Perhaps I am just a bit impatient and not feeling too confident about my rookie broody (and rookie me) but we have no pips, peeps or wobbles.
    I have been reading that eggs under the hen usually hatch on the early rather than late side???
    How long after today should I give her before taking the eggs.?
    Poor thing has been so dedicated but I have noticed she didn't always have all her eggs under her all the time.
    We have had two late quitters, a stepped on egg and a dud all that she pushed out of the nest earlier this week.
    Crossing my fingers but not feeling hopeful.
    The control freak in me is now feeling far more comfortable with bator hatches!!!!
    Hoping for at lease one [​IMG]

2. Amyh

Amyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2010
    North Carolina
    This is my first time too!! Ours just hatched 2 out of 4 eggs today. I found eggs outside the nest several times and promptly put them back under her. One of the eggs is a dud and the other I had hoped would hatch. I'm giving it until Monday and if it's not hatched and she has abandoned the next, I guess there is no hope.

Good luck!

3. Mrs. Feathers

Apr 2, 2010
    Quote:Congratulations on your hatch [​IMG]
    Did they hatch on day 21? I had put the eggs back too and she had accepted them back then on Monday my hubby found one of the ones that she had been pushing out under the window in the coop open...she pushed two more out later this week and I candled them...a dud and a quitter....then she stepped on one [​IMG]
    So we have three under her and I'll hope for success too !!!
    I hope you have luck with the other ...
    [​IMG] for both of us

4. Godiva

Godiva Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Colorado
    Hi there Mrs Feathers! It is so exciting and yet nerve wracking especially when you have a rooky hen. I have always found that my eggs hatch quite a bit earlier under a hen and if they are bantams then even earlier. I would give her another 2 or so days and then you'll have to take the eggs away. Hopefully she will get some fuzz butts soon. Have you actually lifted her to check for signs? I don't usually mess with her at all around this time and sometimes it takes a while to be sure anything has hatched. I love to hang out nearby and listen really carefully for the little peeps - too adorable and so fun to see them peeking out of her feathers. Good luck, hope it works out - keep us posted!

5. farmgirlforever18

farmgirlforever18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2010
    Dublin TEXAS
    Good luck on your hatch hope you get one [​IMG]

6. shadowpaints

shadowpaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Rigby, Idaho
    one of my black silkies just hatched 4 chicks, but it wad day 22 for 3 of them and day 23 for the last one ! hang in there!

7. Mrs. Feathers

Apr 2, 2010
    Thanks, feeling more optimistic now especially after hearing shadowpaints 22 and 23 day...
    I had a look when she got up for some water and a bite to eat (okay I tempted her wtih some BOSS [​IMG]) and no pipping or rocking. I keep listening for peeps when I go in the coop. I kept thinking I was hearing chicks but it was just the wildbirds.
    She had been sitting so dutefully...I hope she gets at least one.
    We'll see what tomorrow brings and I will give it a couple extra days.

8. Amyh

Amyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2010
    North Carolina
    Mrs. Feathers :

Quote:Congratulations on your hatch [​IMG]
    Did they hatch on day 21? I had put the eggs back too and she had accepted them back then on Monday my hubby found one of the ones that she had been pushing out under the window in the coop open...she pushed two more out later this week and I candled them...a dud and a quitter....then she stepped on one [​IMG]
    So we have three under her and I'll hope for success too !!!
    I hope you have luck with the other ...
    [​IMG] for both of us

Mine did hatch on day 21, but I have heard of eggs hatching late. I hope you have some chicks today!! Good luck!​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by