Broody hatch question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by lilbirdee, May 7, 2011.

1. lilbirdee

lilbirdee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2009
    Ridgefield, WA
    I have a hen setting on 9 eggs. She broke one in the nest. I cleaned up the broken egg mess, but some of the others are smeared with dried slime. Should I carefully wash them off with a damp rag? Or should I leave them alone? It is day 3 of her hatch.

2. BarefootMom

BarefootMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
    I would just leave them alone. Her eggs will get dirty. My broody's eggs were filthy by the time they hatched and they all hatched fine.

3. lilbirdee

Mar 14, 2009
    Ridgefield, WA
    I was concerned because I had read something about how the shells are porous and thought that the slime could "clog things up"?
    This is my first try at any kind of hatching and I swear I am worrying about every possible disaster. I check on her every few hours just to make sure that she is still on the nest and that all the eggs are tucked under her.
    [​IMG]

4. lottyloo

lottyloo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2010
    Im sure the eggs will be fine, a few eggs i have under a broody are splatterd in mud/poop and have candled and everything seems fine. Good luck with the hatch, i remember my first time with a broody last year and i was exactly the same checking every couple of hours..... and then on day 21 you go to check on her and hear 'tweet tweet'!! [​IMG]

5. naughtyhens

naughtyhens Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2011
    San Francisco
    This is day 15 for me and I am still nervous. My broody takes a break every morning and sometimes I set the kitchen timer in case I should have to remind her to go back to the nest. Meanwhile, while she is up, I feel the eggs and wonder why some are warmer than others. Then I wonder if she's letting some get cold on purpose because she knows they have quit. Then I step back and say, I guess Mama knows best. If day 25 comes and all I have are a bunch of duds, maybe I'll just try again. Best of luck to you!

6. empireranch

empireranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    Quote:I use the stop watch feature on my cell phone to track the time - it is quite stressful! I am on day 11.

7. lilbirdee

Mar 14, 2009
    Ridgefield, WA
    I think I am twice as nervous because it is my first time as well as this hens first time. I want to believe that her instincts will take care of things but I worry that she isn't turning the eggs or will just give up on day 15. Time will tell and if we don't get any chicks this time we can always try again I have lots of broody girls!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by