1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

broody hatch question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by crooked stripe, Aug 22, 2008.

1. crooked stripe

crooked stripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    I have a broody buff orp that I placed eggs under this morning. Hatch date is 9/12/08. What are the chances the chicks will be fine this late in the year. Her cage was built in the run. I changed things around with doors a new nest box. She has taken right to the eggs so far. What are the chicks chances with out me having to intervene? John

2. crooked stripe

crooked stripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    bump

3. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    I think they will be fine. If you plan to leave them with the mom, she will take care of them and keep them warm. The pictures of a mom on the roost with little babies under her wing are priceless.

If you plan to take them from the mom, you will need to monitor temperature and keep them at the right level. Last year, I purchase a batch of chicks that arrived end of September and they are all fine and now laying.

4. 1WildHairL8tr

1WildHairL8tr Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2007
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Hey Crooked!
    We're in the same boat!
    I have a broody BO and just got some fertile eggs yesterday. I am going to place them under her tonight.
    I'm worried because I have to move her to the broody hut, so I'm going to wait until after dark.
    Good luck to you!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by