Broody hatched 1 chick out of catch

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by prncssprplfrog, Jul 17, 2010.

1. prncssprplfrog

prncssprplfrog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2009
    Schuyler Lake
    So my broody finally had the chance to hatch out her own chicks. She and the other girls started a clutch of eggs on the far corner of the coop that I couldn't reach and I figured I would leave them alone.
    Three days ago she came out with one adorable black and white chick. I was very disappointed that more didn't hatch because I got rid of my last rooster a few weeks ago. [​IMG]

Anyway; my son called me this afternoon while I was on the way home to say the it had died. He said that it looked like it had pasty butt. I didn't think a broody-born chick would get pasty butt! I am so sad! He had just died before I walked into the door. I feel so bad! She's out there making a huge fuss & I don't know what I can do to make it better.

So now I won't have any more chances for my girls to hatch any of their own eggs. So sad.

This has not been a good chicken week- I've got my only BLWR (black/red) hen with sour crop & my little lavender splash silkie that is in quarantine because she was attacted by the alpha hen. Waaaahhhh!!!!!

2. iluvsedward

iluvsedward Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2010
    Calvert County MD
    i have three roos i need to get rid of but theres no way we could work somthing out.
    anyway i hear that hens eggs are still fertile for like ten days after the hens have mated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by