Broody hatched chicks still not giving up on last eggs wont leave nest

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CrazyCatNChickenLady, Jun 24, 2011.

1. CrazyCatNChickenLady

CrazyCatNChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    Berry Creek, Ca
    My broody bantam cochin was sitting on 11 of her own eggs. Yesterday morning when I went to check on her she had 7 happy healthy little fluff balls(could be anywhere up to a day old when I found them) with 4 intact eggs under her. I gave them food/water on the nest because I'm pretty sure she hadn't gotten up to eat in a few days. She drank and ate a bunch and the chicks even ate some too.

I'm pretty sure she doesn't want to give up on the last 4 eggs and is still setting. Should I just take the eggs? Candle to make sure they're not good? I have an incubator full due tuesday just in case..

How long until she will get the chicks up and out? Would she have let them starve if I didn't give them food? OR did she not get them out because I gave them food? The nest box is elevated, so thats why I fed them up there..

Sorry if these are all repetitive questions [​IMG] First time I've actually let her hatch eggs!

2. Zaxby's2

Zaxby's2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    She'll wait a couple days for any late hatchers before getting off the nest, so yours should be fine. [​IMG] If she's still on the nest after a few days, remove the eggs. Good luck! [​IMG]

3. CrazyCatNChickenLady

CrazyCatNChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    Berry Creek, Ca
    I ended up candling them. 2 clear, 1 bloodring, and 1 late quitter. So I took them!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by