Broody hatched chicks yesterday, now its soo cold..???'s

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by baldie, Mar 26, 2009.

1. baldie

baldie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2008
    Douglas, MA
    My broody hatched out her chicks overnight Tuesday. Last night it was really cold out. They are in a rabbit cage on my porch. They do have a heat lamp over the cage and cardboard around it. My question is will she let them get out from under her to eat and drink even with it being so cold?? I am afraid they will starve to death. There is food and water for her and the babies very close to her. Should I bring them in the house and put her and the babies in a box??
    Any help will be appreciated!

2. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

My last little group hatched out in a couple feet of snow. Well they weren't out IN the snow, but it was snowing when they were hatching. The Momma took very good care of them.
    Are they inside of a box or something IN the cage? I would put the foot right next to Momma so they don't have to go far. She will make sure they get what they need.

My momma hen is out marching her babies around the yard right now and it as about 45 and misting out. my babies are almost 3 weeks old now.
    The Momma's will take care of the babies..no worries. She knows that she is doing. As long as you supply her with shelter , food and water, she will do the rest!

3. baldie

Sep 25, 2008
    Douglas, MA
    Awesome! Thanks. I am so nervous. I hatch with an incubator all the time, but I am in control. I have never had a broody before. My stomach is all in knots. The food is close to her and the water too. I have cardboard taped around the cage and a blanket over it too. And a heat lamp on top, but its so cold that the heat lamp seems to be doing nothing.

4. Frizzledhen

Frizzledhen Spear Gunnin' Coons

Feb 17, 2007
    Michigan
    Actually the heat lamp may make it too warm for the ma hen. All she really needs to help her out is draft free. She will keep the chicks warm all by herself. I had a broody hatch out 13 chicks in the middle of Feb. here in MI. She did just fine and so did the chicks with no help from me other than a draft free enclosure. And, they were bantams, tiny little chicks no bigger than a cotton ball. I think we try to help too much and it is usually the ma hen who suffers for it. A rabbit hutch all enclosed will probably get too hot for the hen which will make her want to get up and away from it rather than sitting and keeping her chicks warm. My advise is let the hen do her job and you sit back and enjoy the wonders of nature.

5. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

I was a nervous wreck too! I have never hatched any babies at all! I have always had day olds and raised them in my bathroom!

6. jessupfamily

jessupfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2007
    SW Indiana
    I agree with above. The heat lamp will make it too warm for the mama. I have a mama that hatched in below freezing weather this year. I always put food and water close to the mamas no matter what the temps are, just so they can relax and let the babies run around them. Our chickens hatch in a coop and free range. She brought them out at the end of day 2. When they are cold they just go under her. She spent a lot of time squatted down over them. We always have a early broody (and it's always Lydia our Silkie mix hen!) We've never lost a chick to the cold. The mamas know what they are doing. They even play in the cold rain and she takes care of them!

Blessings,
    Amy J.

7. Hens_And_Chicks

Hens_And_Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Hatched under a broody or in an incubator, the chicks don't need anything for up to three days.

8. baldie

Sep 25, 2008
    Douglas, MA
    Thanks guys for all your responses. I was just so nervous. I know the mother hen knows best. But she is so young, only 9 mths. I just wanted to be sure. I haven't really seen the chicks out from underneath her. Thats all. It made me worried. But I will chill out now and let her do her thing! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by