Broody hatched her clutch

STxBCG

In the Brooder
Apr 24, 2016
San Diego, Tx
I had a Bantam Cochin go broody a few weeks back so I let her have 7 eggs, she hatched them all yesterday and is mothering them quite well. We have a LF Welsummer and 2 Bantam Brahma roosters. I know we got 1 pure Welsummer, 1 Welsummer x Brahma, 2 Welsummer x Cuckoo Marans (which are conveniently sex linked so we have a pullet and a cockerel) and 3 Bantam Cochin with who knows. Cockerels will be going to freezer camp, the rest are joining the free range flock of layers.
729282507ee7b7a04bb6edd5ebebe85e.jpg
8fb376a9fc9af966639d939f96114ce8.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Congrats on the hatch. I preffer hens to hatch out the chicks than do it in the incu since its fasinating to watch the hen teach the babies to do stuff and when she talks to them its to cute they just poke their lil heads out

This is our first broody hatch, I've used the incubator before. If I can work it out, I'll use a broody from now on. After just a couple of days, it's easy to see the benefits​ to the chicks of having a mom and, it's easier for us.

And, like you said, seeing the little chicks coming in and out of her is too cute!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

:thumbsup I think using a broody just makes everything universally better. The chicks seem to be healthier, the mother hen raises them without assistance if it's warm enough, and it's a great experience for the hen. :love You've got some beautiful chicks there and a gorgeous hen! :clap Enjoy watching that little family- they'll provide you with endless hours of amusement and cuteness! :love
I have an SS on day 18- almost to lockdown! :fl
~Sarah

thumbsup.gif
I think using a broody just makes everything universally better. The chicks seem to be healthier, the mother hen raises them without assistance if it's warm enough, and it's a great experience for the hen.
love.gif
You've got some beautiful chicks there and a gorgeous hen!
clap.gif
Enjoy watching that little family- they'll provide you with endless hours of amusement and cuteness!
love.gif

I have an SS on day 18- almost to lockdown!
fl.gif

~Sarah

Thanks for the compliments. This hen actually had a run in with a predator a few months ago. She was with my RIR Bantam Rooster (who was a really cool little guy) and she escaped but, he never made it home. She's actually missing a lot of feathers on her back and had couple of lacerations on her back. I kept her in the coop for a few weeks and put antibiotics on them to prevent infection and she's heeled up fine but, I don't think those feathers are coming back until she molts. She's always been a sweet girl, one of those that enjoys human company. When I sit outside in the evenings, she'll come hop up on my lap.

I have 4 more eggs in the incubator right now that I've tried to time for a Sat/Sun hatch while my 21 y/o daughter is visiting us for Easter. I think 3 of the 4 will hatch. I'm going to try to slip the new chicks into her clutch. I'd rather her raise them if she'll take them but, if not my other chicks are only 3 weeks old so I can put them in the brooder with those if I have to.

Back
Top Bottom