Broody Hatched One

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MooseHillFarm, Jul 29, 2008.

1. MooseHillFarm

MooseHillFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    Connecticut
    I don't so much have a question, but want to know what's typical for a hen on day 21, with one chick hatched, on the floor of the coop. Is that too much to ask?!! I've found lots of info about broody hens, but not so much on after the birth.

I worried the adult hens or roo might bother mama and baby, so I let them out to free range early and shut the door. Put a bowl of chick starter and water by the broody and baby. Next time I peeked in baby chick was out from under mama and standing in the feed bowl! So cute, perfect photo opp missed but that's another story.

While I was peeking, angry locked out Leghorn got past me, and wily chick slipped neatly under mama, totally invisible. I opened coop door towards dusk to let the whole gang home and they paid no mind to broody and babe. Think maybe they'll get along okay?

Okay, so I do have a question! Tomorrow is day 22, and there are still eggs, as well as a chick under mama. What happens next? Chick born on day 20, nothing today, when does mama leave the nest?

2. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    My mom hens have left about 3 days after the hatch, I have had two with only one baby each.

THe first one I kept separate from the flock for a week - her and her baby, the second one I never separated, I did have to move her as her nest was too high.... Baby is only a week or so old now and she moved BACK to the high nest (on two hay bales) and somehow the baby manages to get back up there.

None of the other chickens seem to bother them at all - I think they're all used to new additions now! [​IMG]

3. kellim

kellim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2008
    SC, GA Border
    When my broodies hatched off one of them sat a full 2 days til all the eggs were hatched off. The other broody hatched off keets and she has been a little pistol though. She does attack the other hens chicks, so I have had to seperate them. My roo on the other hand has took to them very well. He was even helping one of the little ones learn to scratch for feed! So sweet!

4. MooseHillFarm

MooseHillFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    Connecticut
    Quote:Thanks for that info, it really helps. I'm happy the baby is in a low nest. Mostly I'm glad she more than likely won't be attacked by her elders.

Good to know about the 3 day thing too..... guess that wise mama knows when to give up on unviable eggs. What happens on day 4? Does she take baby on a stroll? Does she suddenly return to coop life? Ah, these and other burning questions.....

5. chickenfanatic

chickenfanatic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    deming new mexico
    bout three days yes but dont worry she will know when better than anyone else.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by