Broody hatched!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by peepmommy, Jun 3, 2012.

1. peepmommy

peepmommy Songster

Feb 15, 2012
    I thought my Candy would never do it!! I checked on her this morning and I had 3 little black heads poke out! My daughter wanted to go out now and double check and we have another little baby!! [​IMG] We have a seven eggs left and a couple look to be pipped (I didn't look at the eggs, but looked at the pictures). I am so tickled and my daughter (4 years) is so excited!!!! [​IMG]It looks like we have a few more to go!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. DeannaOR

DeannaOR Songster

Apr 19, 2012
    Colton, Oregon
    Congrats! They are adorable [​IMG]

3. peepmommy

peepmommy Songster

Feb 15, 2012
    Funny thing is my roo was a RIR and the eggs came from a BR, RIR, and BSL hen. The one chick looks like it will be a BR which is supposed to be impossible... I'm anxious to see what that one looks like in a couple of weeks!

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Your chick that looks like a barred rock--the spot on the head--is a sex linked cockeral. If you didn't have the black sex link hen, and the eggs were just from the barred rock and rir hen, the solid black chicks would be sex linked pullets. But with that black sex link hen, you can't be sure and will just have to wait it out. But anybody else that hatches with that headspot is a little boy.

Black sex link cockerals stay darker colored, like the hens ( pure barred roosters are a lot lighter than the hens), the barring is a little muddy or fuzzy, and they'll often get gold or red leakage on the wings or hackle feathers, increasing as they age.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: