Broody hatches on the coldest night yet!

Chicken Crazy12

Songster
10 Years
Mar 10, 2009
Well, my broody silkie started hatching yesterday and had one out and dry before night came. Another one hatched sometime in the night and was in the process of drying, but still damp that didn't make it. I'm pretty sure the cold got to it while it was still damp. The remaining eggs are now in my incubator. Trying to save what I can
sad.png

I had to stack duck eggs on the side to make room for these eggs to hatch in my bator. I had it plum full of duck eggs. I hear some cheeping in one of the eggs so hope it hatches. I'm so mad, we have been blessed with these mild days all through the incubating and come time for the hatch is gets cold cold cold
somad.gif

These were splash bantam cochins that I bought and had shipped too
rant.gif

Well, my broody silkie started hatching yesterday and had one out and dry before night came. Another one hatched sometime in the night and was in the process of drying, but still damp that didn't make it. I'm pretty sure the cold got to it while it was still damp. The remaining eggs are now in my incubator. Trying to save what I can
sad.png

I had to stack duck eggs on the side to make room for these eggs to hatch in my bator. I had it plum full of duck eggs. I hear some cheeping in one of the eggs so hope it hatches. I'm so mad, we have been blessed with these mild days all through the incubating and come time for the hatch is gets cold cold cold
somad.gif

rant.gif

OH no! I'm so sorry! I was sure mine would hatch last night since it got so cold as well. I am hopeful that she will be able to keep them warm when they do hatch. But now I'm worried and want to bring her in the house! LOL

OH no! I'm so sorry! I was sure mine would hatch last night since it got so cold as well. I am hopeful that she will be able to keep them warm when they do hatch. But now I'm worried and want to bring her in the house! LOL

sad.png

somad.gif

rant.gif

hugs.gif
I thought mine would hatch yesterday since the temp dropped fron 40 to 18 with a windchill of 5 and it was snowing and the heat lamp bulb literally seperated the bulb fell out of the socket and my other one was shot
somad.gif

but luckly none hatch and i've got the bulb back on her and it's 25 today with no wind so it's a little better they due to hatch anytime today is day 19 and she's been sitting hard she's prob been off the nest 3 times that those have been when i've candled she's a very intense broody

I left the first chick that hatched with her since it did fine all night. I think the dampness of freshly hatching and the cold is what done my little one in. I have another chick that just hatched up here in the incubator and another one that has pipped so lots of cheeping going on now. I'm just not sure if I want to even give them another chance out there even once they are dry. I need to at least get 3-4 babies out of these guys so I can start up a little splash cochin flock.
hu.gif

So far I have 2 hatched and another one pipped so
fl.gif

I left the first chick that hatched with her since it did fine all night. I think the dampness of freshly hatching and the cold is what done my little one in. I have another chick that just hatched up here in the incubator and another one that has pipped so lots of cheeping going on now. I'm just not sure if I want to even give them another chance out there even once they are dry. I need to at least get 3-4 babies out of these guys so I can start up a little splash cochin flock.
hu.gif

So far I have 2 hatched and another one pipped so
fl.gif

fl.gif

Update- I helped the other egg that had pipped because it wasn't doing much and I felt like time was running out. He was very sluggish and I didn't know if he would make it or not, but he seems to be doing okay now and moving around and fluffing up. I opened another egg that I thought would be next to hatch because I felt movement in it when I brought them in this morning and it was dead, didn't pip inside and I think they were just running out of time. So I opened the other two eggs and they are alive, but I haven't fully hatched them out yet because I don't want them to bleed. One I have his beak clear the other I'm not sure where the beak is, but trying to help but not to quickly so I'm hoping to get at least one of these two eggs to hatch and that would give me 4 babies. Oh what a mess this has been! Grrrrrr
rant.gif

So one chick out of the two eggs that I had helped is doing okay today. still a not doing a whole lot, but it's still alive for now. the other one died and had never sucked up it's yolk so I didn't fully hatch it. Then this morning I find out that the one chick that was left with momma got pulled off the nest by mice! The mice ate it
rant.gif

I have a seriouse problem and will be going to get some mouse bait later today. So now she is down to the two that hatched alright and then the little one that is till holding on in the incubator.

Back
Top Bottom