Broody hatching help

The Golden Egg5

Chicken OBSESSED
5 Years
Nov 5, 2016
Boone, North Carolina
I had my 6mo pullet go broody a couple weeks ago. After a little while of sitting constantly, I gave her a clutch of 5. The next day she decided to give up. I don't know how much she sat on the through the day, but that night a different one of my girls went broody and she is looking like she is going to stay that way. I put the same eggs under the new broody the night that the first one gave up. Should I expect all the embryos to be dead? Should I go ahead and give my new broody new eggs to hatch? Should I wait until day 7 and candle them? Thank you for the help.

Last edited:
I would give them a chance. As long as it was the same night the other hen went broody, I would guess the embryos are still viable
Ok! Thank you! Even though they are only on day 3, I did a quick candle on the lightest one and I saw a little dark dot. Idk if that is the embryo, but I'm assuming it is because it wasn't there when I candled before incubation. I hope they lived through! I can't wait for some chicks.

That's how I get every year when I breed my chickens
It is so nerve wracking! This is my first year having chickens and my first time incubating any. There is so much to learn about them! I am super excited about what they will look like because they are all going to be mixed breeds.

Back
Top Bottom