Broody help- no eggs- will she stop on her own?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by theacw, Oct 11, 2012.

1. theacw

theacw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    MN
    My silkie has been broody for a few weeks. Will she snap out of it on her own? What is the longest it could go on without me intervening? She is laying on invisible eggs!

I am not getting eggs at all because she isnt laying anymore and my other one is molting. So it would be easy to block off the nests but how long will she freak out for? I feel bad blocking them off because I got her about a week before she started acting broody and the other hen HATES her and really picks on her. It has gotten better but I dont want her to be stressed out about not being on "her eggs" plus get chased around at the same time.

What do you think? I thought maybe it would stop since its in the 20-40's temp. Should I intervene and make her stop or let her do her thing? I guess I dont know how long it could take since she doesnt even have eggs. I had her such a short time so I am not sure if she has lost much weight or not. I think she feels smaller but its also my first silkie and I am used to big bulky hens. Getting her a chick is NOT an option- I live in town and at my limit.

Any help would be appreciated. I know there are a million threads about broodys but I couldnt find one with my situation exactly.

Thank you!!!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Length of broody period varies from hen to hen. That being said, silkies are notorious long term setters. I would block her access to the nests in an attempt to 'break' her broodiness. Understand that once you break this broody period she will eventually go broody again, and again, and again------------------------------ It's what silkies do. They are generally little broody machines.

3. theacw

theacw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    MN
    If I break her out of it, will she go broody quicker than if I let her decide when to stop?
    Or regardless of me intervening or leaving her, will it come back just as quick? Like she needs to get it out of her system and SHE needs to decide when she is done

What is the longest a hen can be broody?

This is my first broody if you cant tell [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by