Broody hen abandoned her eggs, now sitting in nesting box

Coopnana

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 27, 2013
north Idaho
My GLW young hen started sitting on unfertiflized eggs in one of our two nesting boxes. (we only have 5 hens). We moved her to a wire crate and made a nesting area for her. Then we purchased some fertilized silkie eggs put three with her and the rest in incubator while we saw if she would continue to sit. Then we candled eggs after 1 1/2 weeks culled the bad eggs and put more under her. Checked the next am...she was off the nest, but eggs were warm. I put her back on the nest and covered the opening w/ a towel. Checked her again at noon, she was not on the eggs but standing over them and eggs were cold. We've moved the eggs to the incubator and not sure how many will survive. Temperatures are near 40's. Candled eggs - at least one is moving. Fingers crossed. Hen went back to the coop w/ the other hens. Now she is sitting in one of the nesting boxes again. Today one of the hens was in the box with her...so I am sure she's sitting on another unfertilized egg. My question for those w/ way more experience at this....if any of the chicks hatch from our incubator...do I dare try putting them w/ this broody hen or better not to risk it?:he

My GLW young hen started sitting on unfertiflized eggs in one of our two nesting boxes. (we only have 5 hens). We moved her to a wire crate and made a nesting area for her. Then we purchased some fertilized silkie eggs put three with her and the rest in incubator while we saw if she would continue to sit. Then we candled eggs after 1 1/2 weeks culled the bad eggs and put more under her. Checked the next am...she was off the nest, but eggs were warm. I put her back on the nest and covered the opening w/ a towel. Checked her again at noon, she was not on the eggs but standing over them and eggs were cold. We've moved the eggs to the incubator and not sure how many will survive. Temperatures are near 40's. Candled eggs - at least one is moving. Fingers crossed. Hen went back to the coop w/ the other hens. Now she is sitting in one of the nesting boxes again. Today one of the hens was in the box with her...so I am sure she's sitting on another unfertilized egg. My question for those w/ way more experience at this....if any of the chicks hatch from our incubator...do I dare try putting them w/ this broody hen or better not to risk it?
he.gif

since she has already got off of them I wouldn't attempt it until maybe she is older but that is just my personal opinion.

Give her one or two infertile eggs to sit on and see if she stays put. If she does and she is still sitting by the time the chicks hatch, give it a chance and slip the chicks under her at night when she's sleepy and remove the infertile eggs at the same time.

Back
Top Bottom