broody hen about to hatch eggs: will roo mate with his babies later?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by siouxbee, Jul 24, 2008.

1. siouxbee

siouxbee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2007
    I've got a hen sitting on 12 eggs, although only 6-8 have the same-ish start date. that's a whole 'nother post ;-)

anyway. I got to thinking that "natural selection" has pared our flock down to only 7, including our rooster. I'd like to keep some of the chicks if they hatch and are female. But then I got to thinking -- won't my roo mate with them? and what if someone goes broody down the line when they're in the mix? I figure some inbreeding is necessary when creating/maintaining breeds. but I'm just a backyard bird owner, not looking to show. Should I keep his children, or give them away?

Thanks

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Yes, he will mate the new hens when they get old enough.

Line breeding is okay with chickens for a while. You shouldn't have any troubles.

It is not the same as humans or other animals. Chickens don't get the same genetic defects. Eventually you will want to bring in new blood somewhere down the line.

3. siouxbee

siouxbee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2007
    Thanks -- I'm glad to know genetically it's not that big of an issue, but in a small flock like ours, I can't say that I won't be skeeved out when he mounts his kids. Guess I'll have to work that out for myself and just let the chickens alone! ;-)

4. mommy9994

mommy9994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    central VA
    he will, but it won't matter

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by