Broody hen accepted surrogate chicks-now what?

CorinneK

In the Brooder
Jul 15, 2020
Brazos County, TX
I had a hen go broody and I went through the process of giving her 4 chicks. She has happily accepted them and they are now all snuggled up. My question is, what now? Every guide I've read stops here. So far it's been a few hours (around 3) and they have stayed under her the entire time. How often should they be leaving to eat and drink? I have a chick feeder and waterer setup right next to the nest (I moved her to the floor because the nest box was a little too high for the chicks to get in and out of. Will that be okay? She doesn't seem to mind.) and I dipped their beaks in the water a couple of times so they should know where it is.

This is my first time having a hen raise the chicks so I'm trying to make sure I do everything right!
20210512_102607.jpg
20210512_122517.jpg

Are they in with the flock? If not Integration into the group will be the next step. There are several ways to approach. Having them in sight of the flock can help the transition.

Are they in with the flock? If not Integration into the group will be the next step. There are several ways to approach. Having them in sight of the flock can help the transition.
She is in the shared coop. I kept the others locked out of the run for the first couple of hours to let them bond and when I reopened the gate one of the other hens came in to lay. A few have briefly come by to eat from the feeder as well, but for the most part they hang out in the yard during the day. I've been keeping an eye on them and so far none of them have tried to bother her. She is kind of the boss hen around here so I would be suprised if they tried anything. Should I have her separated or is this okay?

She is in the shared coop. I kept the others locked out of the run for the first couple of hours to let them bond and when I reopened the gate one of the other hens came in to lay. A few have briefly come by to eat from the feeder as well, but for the most part they hang out in the yard during the day. I've been keeping an eye on them and so far none of them have tried to bother her. She is kind of the boss hen around here so I would be suprised if they tried anything. Should I have her separated or is this okay?
[/QUOTE. That should work great.

Back
Top Bottom