Broody hen accepted three little chicks; just wanted to share!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jondee, Aug 5, 2013.

1. jondee

jondee Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2012
    I'm so happy! One of my Buff Orpingtons has gone broody 3 times in the past year, and when she went broody again a couple of weeks ago, I thought I'd see what would happen if I slipped some chicks under her. I moved her and her fake eggs to a different nest box in a shed with adjacent yard (away from the other hens), waited a few days for her to settle in, and then put 3 chicks under her at night. It was fascinating to see her reaction! She started "talking" to herself with little clucks and murmurs, puffed her feathers way out, and got really preoccupied with what was going on underneath her. When I peeked in the next morning, she was sitting all puffed up, with a tiny chick poking out from the crook of her wing---classic "mom and chick" picture [​IMG]. We're on day 3 now, and she seems to be taking really good care of her chicks. Amazing to see those instincts just kick in like that!

I just wanted to share with folks who would appreciate this; while my family thinks the new chicks are cute, they don't exactly share my fascination and enthusiasm, lol.

Joni in CA

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Thanks for sharing! I'm glad to hear it worked so well for you and your hen. Enjoy them!

3. Crazycomb

Crazycomb Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2013
    Mt. Pleasant, MS
    Such a very sweet story [​IMG] Thank you for sharing!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by