1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Broody hen accepting chicks?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by connecticuthens, May 28, 2017.

1. connecticuthens

connecticuthens Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2016
    Hi everyone. Thank you in advance for the advice.
    Exactly 3 weeks ago we got 12 fertilized eggs. 10 were put in our homemade incubator, and 2 were given to our broody hen. In the last 24 hours one of the hen's eggs has hatched, along with 9 in our incubator. We'd like to put the new incubated babies under our broody tonight in the hopes that she will raise them all together. My question is... do you think she will accept 10 chicks when she was only sitting on 2 eggs? Any advice is appreciated!

2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    The only way to know is to try it. I don't think chickens can count, and as long as they are going in the same time as hers hatched, I'd guess she'll do OK with them, but can't say for sure.

3. StarChicken

StarChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2010
    Benton, Arkansas
    Hmmmmmm, we have a broody hen that refuses to go back to ordinary living. If I put my fresh hatchlings under her some night, I wonder if she'll think she did it!

It can't happen this time because she's been "sitting" for at least three weeks, so June 3 is a bit out of bounds.

4. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Is June 3 the soonest you can slip some chicks under her? It's really not that far away.

5. StarChicken

Feb 14, 2010
    Benton, Arkansas
    Daughter thinks she might kill them.

6. StarChicken

Feb 14, 2010
    Benton, Arkansas
    We went on lock-down today, so I'm hoping for June 3; although my counting may be a bit off, and we may have hatchlings on June 2. We did last time I did the counting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by