Broody Hen Advice:Help Me, Help Me!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by hakatee, Aug 24, 2014.

1. hakatee

hakatee Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2014
    As I have posted in other forums I am new to the site. Actually, I am new to not having free range chickens. We always had free range for egg production, pest control, and meat. We always had American Game so that they could fly and elude ground predators. We never allowed fighting and would not sell to fighters. After most of our flock was picked off by protected predatory bird(hawks,eagles and owls) we were left with 2 american game hens and one beautiful american game rooster. So I have begun replenishing my stock with dual purpose hens to cross with my Game Roo. I am not interested in showing these birds but want beautiful colors that are good egg and meat producers and go broody. I don't want to use an incubator and the size and color of eggs are not important to me. I just never noticed the brood cycle of our free range hens cause they would "steal" a nest out and show up with "doodles" from time to time. Game Hens are wonderful mothers and I so want to keep this mama in the biz of going broody So now I have a game hen that went broody and I didn't have any eggs set aside. I bought some Black Australorp eggs that were ready to set. She is small and for this size egg could only set 12 eggs. Today I have 8 days left until - voila - "doodles". In addition to wanting to add to my flock I wanted to keep her in the cycle for broodiness. Now I need to know how often an American Game Hen will go broody so I can start watching and setting aside my Australorps/Game cross eggs. I also want to add some Jersey Giants to my flock so she will only set about 10 of those. Can anyone help me with a timetable for when she will go broody after "weening" this batch of chicks. I am in Tennessee and I am actively looking for some Black Jersey Giant Fertilized Eggs or Pullets for sale. Thanks everyone

2. sdm111

sdm111 Overrun With Chickens

May 21, 2013
    S. louisiana
    I have had game hens go broody on one egg and another wait till 22 so it's all in the hen. What I've done before too is to have eggs ready for a hatch and when the chicks hatch take them and put more eggs in the nest and my hens would go right back to setting but haven't done it more than twice to give her a rest

3. hakatee

Jul 19, 2014
    i am just trying to get her routine down. I know that other animals have cycles so i thought chickens my be the same way. She is such a good mama. I just want to keep her doing what comes natural so that I can save the eggs from my flock and not have to buy any. This last time I purchased Australorp eggs cause I had none saved. Since she is a small hen by comparison we put 4 eggs under her to keep her "occupied" until I could buy some from the near by hatchery. This is just so new for me. I prefer free range but don't want to run the risk. Thank you, I really appreciate all input.

4. sdm111

May 21, 2013
    S. louisiana
    IMO games are the best of the best at motherhood. You'll figure out her ways.

5. hakatee

Jul 19, 2014
    Thank you so much for your support.

6. sdm111

May 21, 2013
    S. louisiana
    Youre welcome if u check out the show your games there's a ton of info on games there. Just good reading.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by