Broody Hen Advice

Aug 26, 2020
Hello all! I have a broody hen and ordered some hatching eggs to put under her so she can be a mama and I can have more feather babies! This will be her first time as a mother and my first time hatching eggs.I put her in a dog cage separate from the coop with chicken mesh around the bottom half of it so when the babies hatch they can’t slip through as I plan to keep them in there at night once the babies hatch. I have 18% food in the cage and some water. With the time it will take for the eggs to come and the incubation period she will be on the nest for 5 weeks. Is that ok as long as I make sure she eats and drinks? Any other advice and tips would be much appreciated! Here’s a pic of the set up...
FD30DD12-5291-42D6-B372-EA3F054582E0.jpeg

I agree with sourland. Five weeks might be more than she can endure. Could you maybe find hatching eggs locally so it would be quicker? I see them often on Craigslist in my area. Another option is to put feed store chicks under her after a few weeks. Most times mother hens will accept them so long as they are very young chicks.

Back
Top Bottom