Broody Hen advice

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by fran35, Jun 4, 2012.

1. fran35

fran35 Hatching

Jun 4, 2012
    I have a broody Buff Orpington sitting on about 15 eggs(some Bantam). She has been sitting for about 5 days in a nesting box about 3 feet off of the coop floor. I have 5 other hens who she is with and they do not seem to bother her. She is devoted and I have to remove her from the nest about one per day. I am wondering if I should remove her and the eggs, or leave her since she is settled. I do not want to run the risk of moving her and causing her to leave the nest. I realize that she will have to be seperated once the chick hatch, but is it necessary now? I will do whatever presents the best chances for a successful hatch.

Thanks

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hello, I had a situation similar to yours, and I just waited until the babies hatched, then I collected them in a box (mama was watching), and she followed me right to the new location. It was very easy.

3. Nestled Chickens

Nestled Chickens Chirping

Mar 3, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    I have a few broody hens sitting on nests right now. I have only 9 nest boxes for 30-40 hens, so things get crowded quickly when hens are broody. We've found that just leaving them alone, but taking the chick as soon as it is hatched, is the best thing to do-for our set up. I've had hens peck new chicks, toss them over the edge of the nest box, or just squish them. Whether it's intentional, I have no idea. I've also had sets of hens brood together and that is always very sweet.

4. aggie9296

aggie9296 Songster

Jan 28, 2011
    Panama City, FL
    I had a broody that was, frankly, too mean to move. Left her there on 6 eggs. I did mark them so I could remove new eggs laid in her box by her flockmates. She was in the favored nest box, so they kept laying there with her for about a week or so. I did put food and water nearby, but she would leave the coop for short periods to eat, drink and poop. When she hatched 4, removed her to the brooder pen.

Just keep an eye out when it gets closer to hatching time. Mine came at day 19.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: