Broody hen - am I handling this right?

Thumper51

Chirping
Aug 8, 2019
Columbus, OH, USA
I would really appreciate feedback and tips, I've had hens for about a year and one (out of 8) went broody this summer. About 6 weeks ago egg production dropped from 7 or 8 a day to 3 to 5 eggs a day. It took me awhile to figure out that it's because one of my hens has been broody (sits on the nest all the time, red & naked breast, grumpy when I move her to collect eggs, etc.) So after reading up on it I put her in a wire laundry basket (with hardware cloth on the bottom so her feet don't get stuck) and some food and water wired to the side and propped the basket up on some fire logs inside the coop so she gets some air through the bottom. She wasn't happy to be away from the nest. Is this a good approach, and about how long should I keep her in "chicken prison" to see the hormone/pheromone changes necessary to break her of being broody and return to normal egg production from all my hens? Please and thanks for your input and experience!

It can take anywhere from 3-7 days generally to break a hen. The longer they have been broody the longer it takes to break them. I leave mine in constantly for 3 days before releasing. If they return to the nest they go back in for 3 more days. Breaking them ASAP can sometimes be done in two days.

Last time we had one go broody, we dunked her in cool water up to her neck. We held her there for a couple of minutes and then released her. Now this was in the middle of summer when it was very hot out. It worked after the third dip. We did it once a day.

Sigh. Gonna go try this on my broody BO. She ain't never gonna hatch those golf balls ....

The cool(not COLD) water dip can work, especially if it's really hot out. especially if used in conjunction with a wire crate.
Crate doesn't need to be suspended way up high, just high enough to get some air flow underneath.

My experience goes about like this: After her setting for 3 days and nights in the nest (or as soon as I know they are broody), I put her in a wire dog crate (24"L x 18"W x 21"H) with smaller wire on the bottom but no bedding, set up on a couple of 4x4's right in the coop or run with feed and water.

I used to let them out a couple times a day, but now just once a day in the evening(you don't have to) and she would go out into the run, drop a huge turd, race around running, take a vigorous dust bath then head back to the nest... at which point I put her back in the crate. Each time her outings would lengthen a bit, eating, drinking and scratching more and on the 3rd afternoon she stayed out of the nest and went to roost that evening...event over, back to normal tho she didn't lay for another week or two. Or take her out of crate daily very near roosting time(30-60 mins) if she goes to roost great, if she goes to nest put her back in crate.

Chunk of 2x4 for a 'roost' was added to crate floor after pic was taken.
upload_2019-8-22_17-25-2.png

to break a broody it's usually off the ground if I remember right, I will tell you she's acting like my persistent broody and that did not work for her, I got her some fertilized eggs and let her do it before persistent killed her as nothing else was working

When I have a broody hen and no fertile eggs, I just take her out of the nesting box every day, a few times a day. She gets mad at me, but then starts foraging for a minute. After about a week she gives up.

Unfortunately a few weeks ago I decided to allow one to be broody and ordered some fertile eggs. Not sure why I thought it would be a good idea to pull the infertile eggs out from under her every day, but doing so broke her broody mood and guess who had to go out and buy an incubator.:th

Last time we had one go broody, we dunked her in cool water up to her neck. We held her there for a couple of minutes and then released her. Now this was in the middle of summer when it was very hot out. It worked after the third dip. We did it once a day.
Hhhmmm, I will keep that in mind. I didn't try it. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom