Broody Hen and 4-Week Old Chick Aggressively Sparring With Each Other

K-12 Chickens

Songster
9 Years
Oct 6, 2010
Michigan
Today I noticed that my broody hen and her 4-week old chick were aggressively sparring with each other-- the chick (who I suspect is a cockerel) jumps up and pecks at the hen's head with hackles flared as if trying to dominate her. In turn, the hen pecks at and "dances" to the chick with one wing lowered (an aggressive, dominating display). There were several times I was afraid that the hen would seriously injure the chick, so I have them separated for now.
Is the hen breaking the bond with her chick? She still clucks and calls to the chick, but shortly after I let them together again, they started to fight. (I had noticed this behavior a few times last week, but it never got serious)

Last edited:
  Today I noticed that my broody hen and her 4-week old chick were aggressively sparring with each other-- the chick (who I suspect is a cockerel) jumps up and pecks at the hen's head with hackles flared as if trying to dominate her. In turn, the hen pecks at and "dances" to the chick with one wing lowered (an aggressive, dominating display). There were several times I was afraid that the hen would seriously injure the chick, so I have them separated for now.
  Is the hen breaking the bond with her chick? She still clucks and calls to the chick, but shortly after I let them together again, they started to fight. (I had noticed this behavior a few times last week, but it never got serious)

Could these fights be mock battles. Chicks do this as practice for what is to come. Most hens could easily dominate a four week old chick. Oddly, I have a broody that is still leading her 10 week old "chicks" around and clucking. The roosters are crowing acting every bit the rooster, but mom still rules the roost.

Could these fights be mock battles. Chicks do this as practice for what is to come. Most hens could easily dominate a four week old chick. Oddly, I have a broody that is still leading her 10 week old "chicks" around and clucking. The roosters are crowing acting every bit the rooster, but mom still rules the roost.

I would definitely not say these are just mock battles-- they appear much more serious. The chick even squeals in pain when the hen grabs ahold of its comb (I even saw a little blood on the comb). I let them out together again and they were fine for less than 10 minutes. What's weird is that when I break up the fight, they'll calmly forage together for a few minutes and then start fighting again. Another behavior when they fight is that the chick will try to hide underneath the hen.

Last edited:
  I would definitely not say these are just mock battles-- they appear much more serious. The chick even squeals in pain when the hen grabs ahold of its comb (I even saw a little blood on the comb). I let them out together again and they were fine for less than 10 minutes. What's weird is that when I break up the fight, they'll calmly forage together for a few minutes and then start fighting again.

This is something I've not seen. Maybe another member will reply and have some insight to this behavior.

I'd say you have one precocious little cockrel. He's got some hormones going, and just doesn't know what to do with them. I'm guessing that he's always the one that starts these little battles? If so, Mama is merely doing what every good Mama would do.... teach the little brat some manners. If they were in my flock, I'd be tempted to leave them together to sort it out. Let Mama trounce some good behavior into him. If he doesn't learn how to behave himself now, he never will, and if he never does, he's never going to be a flock member.

I'd say you have one precocious little cockrel. He's got some hormones going, and just doesn't know what to do with them. I'm guessing that he's always the one that starts these little battles? If so, Mama is merely doing what every good Mama would do.... teach the little brat some manners. If they were in my flock, I'd be tempted to leave them together to sort it out. Let Mama trounce some good behavior into him. If he doesn't learn how to behave himself now, he never will, and if he never does, he's never going to be a flock member.

I agree. I've noticed the chick does tend to instigate the fights. I was hoping the chick was female, but after seeing this behavior, I'm more convinced it's male.

Back
Top Bottom