Broody hen and a crazy roo

Discussion in 'Quail' started by CuriousQuail, Feb 7, 2013.

1. CuriousQuail

CuriousQuail Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Okay I've stated that my male has 'issues' (hides, lazes about, sits on eggs, growls at me when grabbing for eggs)

Now I'm suspecting a hen or the male has taken to hoarding eggs in a corner to sit on. My male and a particular hen have taken to shoving all the eggs in one corner. I WISH I had a camera to catch this when I'm not around, but i'm pretty sure they're moving them since the eggs should roll towards another part of the cage *not where they used to roll*.

I reach for eggs and the hen pecks me and then i have to literally move her to grab the eggs. The male just growls and hides only a few inches away from then. The other hens are kinda just running around looking for treats that I usually use to distract them and calm them down when i get the eggs. These two seem to be on guard duty.

NOW TO my real problem.
    I saw blood this morning on both of their beaks/faces and they seem to have attacked 2 of my other hens :\

I will have to separate these two from everyone won't I? :\ THE WORST part about this is... she's not my largest hen and is in fact my smallest hen. He's not very big either but he's my only male. I wanted him to fertilize all the hens!!!

Could I just remove her and he'll go and find a new hen to hoard eggs with AND be less agressive?

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  2. laseterlass

laseterlass Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Anchorage Alaska
    A broody Coturnix is a GREAT thing. I hope its hereditary. I would think it would be more likely of hens raised by another hen instead of people to become a broody hen. JMO.

3. CuriousQuail

CuriousQuail Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2012
    Los Angeles
    I guess I didn't put much thought into it... I suppose I could section her off to incubate all the eggs or just a small handful for now and place the male with her if she needs him in order to stay on the eggs. Just hope that the other eggs are fertile from the larger hens. They're in a cat carrier for now >.> I have to build a cage for them tomorrow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by