Broody Hen and bad eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by IMANana, Dec 14, 2012.

1. IMANana

IMANana New Egg

Apr 9, 2012
    I have a naked neck hen that went broody for the 3rd time. First 2 times everything went well. This time, it seems that at some point a bad egg exploded and she buried in the pine shavings. We were out of town and my daughter, who was looking after them didn't realize it. Apparently it it affected the other eggs, 9 total, 3 more exploded and one started to hatch but the chick didn't brake through the membrane in time and died. We candled the rest last night, 25th day and they too were bad. We took them all out, didn't want anymore exploding eggs and don't know what went wrong. We had gotten some eggs from a local gal, supposedly fertile not sure now, and had put them under the hen on day 2. Could they have carried something to cause problems? If the eggs weren't fertile would that cause them to explode? But now my hen wants to keep sitting on new eggs laid by my other hens, what do I do? We she sit for another 3 weeks and if so would that be harmful? Do we discourage her from continuing to brood? I would appreciate any helpful input at all.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Very possibly the eggs were bad, but it is also very likely that the nest got contaminated in some fashion. Setting can take a lot out of a hen. If she were mine, especially given the time of year, I would confine her away from her nest site and break her broodiness. She'll be ready to go again in the spring. Good luck at resolving this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by