Broody Hen and eating and drinking

MissChessy

Songster
12 Years
Sep 24, 2007
Texas
I have a broody hen sitting on 3 eggs. I have no clue if these eggs are fertile eggs, but I'm just gonna let her sit on them and see what happens.

My question is this, do broody hens get out of the nest box to eat and drink? If so, I have her penned up during the day in the nest box she is laying in and have some chicken wire covering her to protect her from the other hens. In the evenings, I shut the hens out and take off the chicken wire so she can come out and eat and drink something. Is this the right thing to do? She is not showing me any indications that she is coming out of her box. I want to be sure she has nourishment of some kind.

Thanks for any input.
big_smile.png

they usually do, but sometimes will not, if thats the case, you may want to take her off the nest once or twice every day, if shes hungry she'll go off for a while, if she's not she'll go straight back to the nest.

Quote:
You're doing fine. Place the food and water near her and leave her alone when you let her out. Whatever you do, make sure you give her her food and water the same time each day. Dont vary it.

Quote:
You're doing fine. Place the food and water near her and leave her alone when you let her out. Whatever you do, make sure you give her her food and water the same time each day. Dont vary it.

Oh okay, will do that this evening then. I'll see if I can coax her out and get her to eat and drink something while the other hens are blocked out.

Thank you for the input.

you don't need to block the other hens from her unless they have attacked her already, reall the only thing you have to worry about is someone else getting into the nest and laying another egg, wich is why I mark the broody eggs, so when they're off the nests, I can take the other hens eggs, and leave the broodies eggs there.

you can let the broody run with the other chickens, she won't stay out long, and once she's had a stretch,eat,poop, and a good dust bathe, she'll go back.

Back
Top Bottom